I changed a couple things to make them 100% whole wheat. They worked great, and we loved them! We had them with bean burgers and oven fries.
1/4 c. warm water + 2 t. yeast
1 c. leftover soft mashed potatoes, warm (or 1/2 c. instant mashed potatoes mixed with 1 c. boiling water)
1 c. medium-firm tofu, drained and mashed
3/4 c. to 1 c. non-dairy milk, warm
1/4 c. ground flaxseed
1/4 c. wheat bran
2 T. sucanat
2 T. oil (or wonderslim)
1 T. nutritional yeast flakes
2 t. salt
4 c. whole wheat flour*
non-dairy milk for brushing
sesame or poppy seeds, or onion flakes for garnish
- Proof yeast in water for a few minutes.
- Add potatoes through salt and mix well. (I used a Bosch mixer, dough hook.)
- Add flour and knead on speed 2 for 5 minutes. (Original instructions are to knead for 5-10 minutes, with a mixer or by hand.)
- As the dough is kneading, keep an eye on it, and add more non-dairy milk or water, a couple tablespoons at a time, if it seems too dry.
- Place in greased bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm place (corn warmers in the microwave worked great) for 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down and divide into 9-12 equal balls. (I made 9.) Dough should be pretty sticky.
- With wet hands, press the balls down on greased or cornmealed baking sheets to make circles 3-4 inches across.
- Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Brush the buns with non-dairy milk for a shiny glaze and sprinkle with garnish.
- Bake at 350 (325 convection) for 20 minutes.
- Cool on racks.
*The whole wheat flour we use is home-ground from hard white wheat. It makes a much lighter bread than other wheat varieties.