I got this recipe from my mother-in-law and I think she got it from a Cooking Light magazine. I omitted the olive oil, but everything else is the same. We usually just eat it on tortillas instead of as a soup, and I always make the guacamole to go with it because it's just not the same without it!
1 c. chopped onion
1 bell pepper chopped (any kind you like)
2 t. chili powder
1 t. ground cumin
1 t. dried oregano
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 4.5 oz. can chopped green chillies
2/3 c. uncooked barley
1/4 c. water
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes (undrained)
1 14 oz. can vegetable broth
- Sautee onions and bell pepper in water.
- Add ingredients in order listed.
- Simmer until barley is cooked (about 40 minutes)
- May require more water (I have never needed more, but we like ours thick)'
- Combine all ingredients in the pressure cooker.
- Cook on low pressure for 2 minutes.
- Quick release.
- Mix together in a food processor.
*I just put in random amounts- last time I think I used 2 avocados, one tomato, juice from 1 lime, a little bit of red onion, cilantro, and a dash of salt. I also add a tiny bit of stevia (you could use a different sweetener) just to counteract the lime juice and it turns out really good.