These are from Dr. McDougall's August 2006 Newsletter.
1 15oz. can cannellini (or great northern) beans, drained and rinsed
1 c. whole wheat bread crumbs
1 4.5 oz. can chopped green chillies
2 green onions, chopped
1 T. egg replacer mixed in 1/4 c. warm water (2 eggs)
1/4 c. cornmeal
whole wheat buns
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place the beans in a medium bowl and mash slightly. Stir well.
- Add bread crumbs, green chillies, green onions, and egg replacer mixture. Mix well.
- Put cornmeal in a shallow bowl.
- Form the mixture into 5-6 patties, each about 1/2 inch thick. Dip each side in cornmeal and place on a non-stick baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, 10 minutes on each side.
- To serve, place some shredded lettuce on the bottom bun, put the burger on the lettuce, top with guacamole and salsa.
*I usually double the recipe and use the extra for lunches. They also freeze and reheat well on a grill.