Monday, August 9, 2010
½ c. quinoa, rinsed*
1 c. water
4 medium zucchini
1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 c. grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
½ c. nutritional yeast
½ c. almonds, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
¼ c. bread crumbs
1 t. water
• Preheat oven to 400.
• In a large saucepan, brown the quinoa over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes. Add 1 c. water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the water is absorbed, 12-15 minutes.
• Meanwhile, cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Arrange the zucchini in a large baking dish, cut-side up.
• Fluff the quinoa and fold in the beans, tomatoes, nutritional yeast, almonds, and garlic.
• Spoon the quinoa mixture into the zucchini.
• Combine the bread crumbs and the water and sprinkle over the quinoa and zucchini. I sometimes spray the tops with a bit of spray butter, too.
• Cover with tin foil and bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Remove the tin foil and bake another 8-10 minutes, until bread crumbs are golden brown.
• Serves: 4
* You may also use flavored quinoa in this dish, such as Sun-dried Tomato Basil or Savory Herb. I usually just use plain quinoa but add some basil and Italian Seasoning to the water I cook it in. *