Monday, August 9, 2010
2 c. uncooked brown rice
3 lbs. butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into ¾ -inch cubes (about 5 c.)
2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ¾ -inch cubes (about 4 c.)
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 can vegetable broth
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. curry powder
1½ t. ground allspice
½ t. ground red pepper
¼ t. salt
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
½ c. raisins*
3 T. lime juice
1 c. diced tomato
1 c. cucumber, peeled and diced
• Prepare rice according to package directions.
• Combine squash, potatoes, onion, broth, garlic, curry powder, allspice, pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered for 5 minutes.
• Add beans and raisins. Simmer 5 minutes more, until potatoes and squash are tender and beans are hot.
• Remove from heat and add lime juice.
• Serve stew over brown rice and top with tomato and cucumber.
• Serves 8.
*We don't do raisins at our house, so I just leave these out.