|(Served with mango avocado salsa.)|
1 c. corn meal
¼ c. evaporated cane juice
4 t. baking powder
½ t. salt
2 T. egg replacer + ½ c. water
¼ c. soy yogurt (vanilla or plain) or applesauce*
2 t. vanilla extract
2 c. non-dairy milk
2 c. corn
black bean salsa, mango avocado salsa, or pineapple mango salsa
¼ c. plain soy yogurt or sour cream (optional)
fresh cilantro (optional)
• Plug in waffle iron and spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
• In a small bowl, combine whole wheat flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set mixture aside.
• In another bowl, whisk the egg replacer and ½ c. water together until frothy. Add yogurt (or applesauce), vanilla extract, milk, and corn. Mix well.
• Slowly incorporate the flour mixture into the egg mixture.
• Spoon batter onto hot waffle iron and cook until golden and crispy, 3-5 minutes.
• To serve, cut waffles in half. Divide warm waffles among 4 serving plates.
• Dollop with salsa, yogurt, and cilantro.
• Serves: 4
* The original recipe called for melted butter, but I decided to use applesauce instead. When I looked in my fridge for the applesauce, I noticed I had vanilla soy yogurt and thought that might be tasty instead. I ended up using the yogurt and it was really good, but I’m sure applesauce would work just as well.