(Original recipe here.)
These are another yummy gem from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen. I wasn't going to post them because I actually botched the recipe (I didn't read the directions very carefully), but they were still good enough that we enjoyed them, and I plan on making them again (following the directions next time).
2 c. blueberries (I used frozen)
1/4 c. honey*
1/4 c. apple juice concentrate*
1/2 t. vanilla
2 T. cornstarch (mixed with enough cold water to form a smooth paste)
3 c. oats (not instant)
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
3/4 c. applesauce
1/4 c. sucanot*
1 smidgen stevia*
6 T. (3/8 c.) water
1 t. vanilla
sucanot/cinnamon mixture to sprinkle on top*
*Altered from original recipe.
• Preheat oven to 375.
• In a small saucepan, combine the blueberries, honey, and juice concentrate. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in vanilla and cornstarch mixture. Stir as the mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat and set aside.
• Put 1 1/2 c. oats, cinnamon, baking powder, sucanot, stevia, and salt in a food processor (or blender) and grind to a fine powder. (This is where I messed up. I processed all 3 c. of oats. Oops.)
• Pour into mixing bowl and stir in remaining oats, applesauce, water, and vanilla. Mix well.
• Spread half the batter into the bottom of a lightly greased 8x8 baking dish. Spoon blueberry filling over the batter, and cover blueberries with remaining batter. Sprinkle sucanot/cinnamon mixture over top.
• Bake for 30 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned.
• Allow to cool before cutting into bars.
Note: I liked these best after they had been in the fridge for a day (or two, or three).