My husband loves sloppy joes, so these keep him happy (and all of us happy too!)
3 1/3 c. water
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 T. chili powder
1 1/2 c. dried brown lentils
1 15-oz. can petite diced tomatoes
2 T. soy sauce
2 T. prepared mustard
2 T. brown sugar
1 t. rice vinegar
1 t. vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
freshly ground black pepper
- Place 1/3 c. of the water in a large pot.
- Add onions and bell pepper and cook until soft, about 5 minutes
- Add the chili powder and mix in well.
- Add the remaining water, lentils, tomatoes, and the rest of the seasonings.
- Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 55 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve on whole wheat buns
*Note: We like avocados, tomatoes, barbecue sauce, and sometimes pineapple on these. It makes a ton, so usually I freeze half and use the rest later.