2 c. water
1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
1 T. veggie broth powder
- Combine in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Boil 5 minutes.
- Strain and discard pepper.
strained chipotle pepper broth
2 c. chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 c. diced carrots
1 1/2 t. ground cumin
1 c. chopped celery
1 c. chopped green bell pepper
3 c. cooked black beans (2 15-oz. cans, undrained)
2 c. chopped fresh or undrained canned tomatoes (14-oz. can)
2 T. orange juice concentrate
1/2 t. salt
- Combine all ingredients in a pressure cooker.
- Cook on low pressure, 2 minutes.
- Quick release.
• Warm the broth in a soup pot. Saute the onions and garlic in broth for about 10 minutes (medium heat), stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent. Don't let the garlic get brown.
• Add the carrots and cumin and cook on medium heat, stirring often, for a few minutes.
• Add the celery and bell peppers, lower the heat, cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
• Add the beans, tomatoes, orange juice concentrate, and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
• If desired garnish with avocado and cilantro.