(From http://www.drmcdougall.com/November 2007)
This keeps well in the refrigerator and reheats well, so it makes a fast meal for lunch later in the week.
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 carrot, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced
1/2 t. minced garlic
1/2 c. vegetable broth
1 bunch green onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 1/2 c. sliced Napa cabbage
1 T. soy sauce
1 t. chili powder
1 t. leaf oregano
2 c. chopped fresh tomatoes
2 c. chopped fresh spinach (packed)
2 15-oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 c. salsa
1 to 2 T. chopped fresh cilantro
Tabasco or other hot sauce to taste (we don't need this)
- Place the onion, bell pepper, carrot, and garlic in a large pot with the vegetable broth.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add green onions, Napa cabbage, soy sauce, chili powder, and oregano.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, spinach, beans, and salsa. Cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in the cilantro and hot sauce to taste.
- Roll up in a warm tortilla and eat.