1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. chopped bell pepper (I like red)
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/2 pound fully cooked soy sausage (I use 6 Morningstar patties)
2 15 oz. cans red beans, drained and rinsed
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 t. worcestershire sauce
1/4 t. ground red pepper
1/4 t. hot pepper sauce
3 c. hot cooked brown rice
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, heat a heavy skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add onion, celery, bell pepper, sausage pieces and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add red beans, tomato sauce, worcestershire sauce, red pepper and pepper sauce (add extra water if needed).
- Cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes more, or until thoroughly heated.
- Serve beans over rice. Top with green onions and serve with hot pepper sauce.
*We usually skip the hot pepper sauce and sometimes the cayenne too, depending on how spicy we want it.