I got this recipe from my friend Diana (thanks!), and it is a favorite for birthdays at our house.
1 t. salt
3 c. whole wheat flour
6 T. cocoa
2 c. sugar (evaporated cane juice or honey)
3 t. baking soda
1/2 c. applesauce
2 T. oil
2 T. vinegar
2 t. vanilla
2 c. cold water
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients together.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix well.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.
This frosting does not claim to be healthy, but it is pretty tasty on chocolate cake.
3 c. powdered sugar*
2/3 c. baking cocoa
1/3 c. rice milk
1/2 c. butter substitute
1 t. vanilla
- Mix sugar and cocoa.
- Add butter, milk, and vanilla.
- Add more powdered sugar as needed
*Note: There is a "healthier" version of powdered sugar made out of evaporated cane juice. You can find it at most health food stores.