1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, pressed
3 T. vegetable oil (I use veggie broth)
1 16-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 16-oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 15- oz. can enchilada sauce, divided
1/2 c. salsa, plus extra for serving with meal
3 t. cumin
salt and pepper to taste
12 flour tortillas, warmed whole wheat
2 T. water
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a skillet over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in oil.
- Add beans and mash with a potato masher.
- Add half of the enchilada sauce, 1/2 c. salsa, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook on low heat, simmering the mixture for about 3 minutes.
- Working with 1 tortilla at a time, spread about 3 T. of mixture down the center.
- Roll up, but keep the ends open.
- Repeat until all burritos are completed.
- Arrange burritos, seam side down, in a 9x13 baking dish.
- Add about 2 T. water to the remaining half can of enchilada sauce.
- Pour evenly over the top of the burritos.
- Bake, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes.
*Note: I love these because you don't have to build them
once you sit down at the table. It's already done!
We just put avocados and chopped tomatoes on top.