1 c. walnuts, finely chopped and toasted
1 c. dried tart cherries*
2 T. agave nectar (or other liquid sweetener)
1 pkg. (1 1/2 c.) vegan chocolate chips
3/4 c. full-fat coconut milk (cream from the top of the can)
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. almond extract
3/4 c. unsweetened shredded coconut
12 drops red/pink food coloring
- Preheat oven to 325. Toast chopped walnuts for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, soak cherries for about 10 minutes. Drain and process with 2 T. agave. Process until finely chopped. Set aside.
- In medium pot, heat chocolate chips over low heat, stirring as necessary, until mostly melted.
- Add coconut milk and stir well.
- Add walnuts, cherry mixture, almond extract, and salt. Adjust salt and sweetener to taste.
- Spoon mixture into a bowl and place in the freezer, uncovered, for 90 minutes, stirring every 30 minutes.
- Transfer bowl to the fridge for another 20 minutes, until chocolate is firm and workable.
- In a small bowl, mix coconut and food coloring until pink.
- When truffle mixture is firm enough to handle, wet your hands slightly, and roll chocolate into small balls, rewetting hands as necessary. (It's very sticky.)
- Roll balls in coconut. Mine made 27 balls.
- Store in an air-tight container in the freezer or fridge. (They get very soft at room temperature.)
*I only had 2/3 c. cherries, so I added 1/3 c. dates. Worked great. I'll probably do 1/2 and 1/2 next time.