This is adapted from Grandpa Ray's recipe. (*doubled recipe is in parentheses)
3 3/4 c. warm water (7 1/2 c.)
2 T. yeast (1/4 c.)
2 T. honey (1/4 c.)
• Proof for 3 minutes.
6 c. whole wheat flour (12 c.)
• Mix on speed 2 (Bosch) for 10 minutes.
• Let sit for 3 minutes.
2-4 c. whole wheat flour (7-8 c.)
2 1/2 t. salt (5 t.)
• Knead on speed 2 for 5-6 minutes. Dough should be pliable, not too tough.
• Allow to rise double; punch down.
• Allow to rise double again.
• Divide into 4 parts (8 parts) and roll into loaves.*
• Flour bottom of loaves and place on corn mealed cookie sheet. (You can fit all 4 loaves on one sheet; the edges might touch. If your oven is big enough, you can put 2 loaves per sheet and use 2 cookie sheets.)
• Score loaves.
• Allow to rise again.
• Bake at 400 for 20 minutes, with a pie tin (or bread pan) of water in the bottom of the oven.
*You can roll these lengthwise into long skinny baguettes. They work great for bruschetta!