1 1/2 c. brown rice, uncooked (about 4 c. cooked)
1 lb mushrooms, sliced (I used shitake)
1 pkg firm or extra firm tofu, pressed, cubed and marinated in 1/2 c. vegan veggie broth 4 hrs or overnight (I used 1 t. Better than Bullion No Chicken + 1/2 c. water)
1 c. water
1 1/2 c. non-dairy milk
2/3 c. cashews
3/4 c. nutritional yeast
4 T. cornstarch
2 T. lemon juice
1 1/2 t. salt
1 t. curry powder
2 t. miso
1 1/2 t. veggie base (1 t. Better than Bullion)
1 c. French fried onion rings (optional)
optional garnish: green onions
- Cook rice.
- Saute mushrooms until just starting to release mushroom juice.
- Drain marinated tofu, spread on parchment paper on a baking sheet, and bake at 375 for 35 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Blend water through veggie base until very smooth.
- Spread cooked rice in the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Cover with baked tofu. Then mushrooms.
- Pour sauce mixture over the casserole.
- Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, top with French fried onions, and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Serve, garnished with green onions.
|This picture is 1/2 the recipe in an 8x8 dish. (Half of us like mushrooms; half do not.)|