Monday, August 9, 2010
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, pressed
1/8 t. crushed red pepper flakes
1 c. zucchini, chopped
1 c. yellow squash, chopped
1 c. carrots, chopped
1 T. dried basil
6 Lasagna noodles, broken into about 2-inch lengths
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 c. tofu “Ricotta” cheese (recipe below)
1 T. fresh basil chopped
• Pour tomatoes and their liquid into a 1-quart measuring cup; add enough water to measure one quart. Set aside
• In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté onions in water until translucent. Add garlic and crushed red pepper flakes and continue to cook for another minute or so.
• Add carrots and cook for another minute or two.
• Add zucchini and squash and cook until tender-crisp. Add basil, blend well.
• Add broken pasta to the veggie mixture, but do not stir or blend in. Spoon tofu ricotta cheese evenly over noodles. Pour tomato sauce and diced tomatoes (with added water) over the cheese and pasta. Bring to a low boil, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until pasta is tender.
*I use a lot more vegetables than it calls for – you can also put in different veggies.
TOFU “RICOTTA” CHEESE
1 pkg. extra firm tofu, rinsed and crumbled
1 t. salt
2 t. dried basil
1 t. dried rosemary
1 t. dried marjoram
1 T. lemon juice
2 T. nutritional yeast
Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
• Combine all ingredients with a fork until consistency resembles ricotta cheese.